10 Commandments of Deaf Culture

10 Commandments of Deaf Culture

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF DEAF CULTURE

© 1991 Deaf Ministries Worldwide
Not to be copied or used in any way without written permission.

For the non-Deaf (missionary, pastor, evangelist, interpreter, etc.) while in the presence of a Deaf person.
I. YOU SHALL NOT PUT “HEARING CULTURE” ABOVE DEAF CULTURE.

“Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave

II. YOU SHALL NOT LOSE EYE CONTACT WHEN COMMUNICATING.

to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became

III. YOU SHALL COMMUNICATE IN SIGN LANGUAGE AT ALL TIMES.

like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became

IV. YOU SHALL NOT BE THE DEAF PERSON’S SIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER.

like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law),

V. YOU SHALL NOT BE THE DEAF PERSON’S ENGLISH GRAMMAR TEACHER.

so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law

VI. YOU SHALL NOT BE THE DEAF PERSON’S SPEECH THERAPIST.

I became like one not having the law (though I am not free

VII. YOU SHALL NOT TELL NON-DEAF JOKES AND PUNS.

from God’s law but under Christ’s law), so as to win those

VIII. YOU SHALL NOT BE THE DEAF PERSON’S “MOTHER.”

not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the

IX. YOU SHALL VIEW DEAF AS AN ETHNIC GROUP NOT AS HANDICAPPED.

weak. I have become all thins to all men so that by all

X. YOU SHALL BELIEVE DEAF CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST.

possible means I might save some.” I Corinthians 9:19-22 (NIV)

11 comments

• Jerri Kauffman says:

I would like have a copied of The Ten Commandments of Deaf Culture. I like to put up my office wall. Where or how can I get one. Thank you
    Jerri Kauffman from Portland. Our church Christian Deaf Church

• Hi Jerri, We will be glad to send you Ten Commandments of Deaf Culture. I am sending you an email now. Blessings always, Rhonda

• Laurenda says:

Someone referred me to this deaf Ten Commandments, I will like to make copy to put on my Isaiah 29 : 18 ministry and link to your page. Thanks!

• Am doing a project on deaf culture as an unreached people group. Would love to use your 10 Commandments as part of my presentation. Would give it proper documentation. Project due in a couple days so hopefully you can get back to me soon
    In Christ,
    Melissa

• Gary has sent you an email reply. God bless you!

• Latasha Decker says:

I would like to have this sent to me. My church is starting a Deaf Ministry and I know that this would be helpful to all of the hearing congregation. Thank you so much.

• G. A. Anderson says:

I would like to have a copy of your “Ten Commandments of Deaf Culture” to share with the deaf ministry at church. Thank you.

• Greetings Latasha, Feel free to copy the “10 Commandments of Deaf Culture” and share with your Deaf Ministry and the hearing congregation. We pray for God to raise up workers in the Deaf Harvest Field and you are an answer to our prayers. God bless you and go before you as you run the race that He, Jesus, has laid out before you! Proverbs 3:5-6

• Greetings G.A. Anderson, You may copy the “10 Commandments of Deaf Culture” and share with your Deaf Ministry. God bless you as you serve Him in the Deaf Harvest Field! Proverbs 3:5-6

• Mary Beth Ethridge says:

I would love to have a copy of the 10 Commandments of Deaf Culture to share at our deaf church in Port St Lucie, FL. Thank you.

• Dawn P. Winslow says: